Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

ASSAILANTS, ASPHALT & ALIBI’s by TONYA KAPPES

It’s another great adventure with Mae and her side kicks in this funny, entertaining mystery. I get excited every time I know there is a new book in this series. I have come to think of the main characters as my friends and imagine sitting around the campfire with them.

This story finds Mae and her friends taking a trip in the Daniel Boone National Forest to look for treasures. The rumor has been circulating around that John Swift left treasures hidden in the mines deep in the forest. The author does such a great job of recapping the history of John Swift that I was ready to join the caravan to help look for the treasures.

I laughed so hard when Mae and her friends decided to go for the weekend and search with others. All of them in one camper with no electricity is an accident waiting to happen. Being in the woods with no cell phones, air conditioning or even a hair dryer was too much for one camper. Oh my I wanted to scream with happiness at the groups’ shenanigans. Mary Elizabeth becomes the victim of stolen property when her pearls come up missing. To be fair, who wears pearls on a camping trip? Only one of our lovely ladies can pull that off. It sets the stage for a full out pointing fingers and unexplained deaths.

One of the intriguing parts of the story was learning more about ginseng. I didn’t know how valuable it was until the author enlightened me on its importance to some. Harvesting it in the forest has become a crime but not everyone abides by the rules. I was surprised at the unexpected deaths that happen and was taken aback at who was the number one suspect was. For once it is not Mae, but she finds herself deep in the investigation.

This story is full of twists, laughs and characters that make the story come alive. One weekend ladies’ get away turns into a cat and mouse game when the killer is determined to not get caught. Don’t miss this wonderful adventure that puts the ladies in danger in a story filled with quirky characters and a trip they will never forget.

I received an arc copy of this book from the author. The review is my own opinion.

1 comment: