Search This Blog

Saturday, August 27, 2016

A PROMISE IN DEFIANCE by HEATHER BLANTON

I really enjoyed this third installment in the Romance in the Rockies series. After reading the first two , I was very anxious to see what would happen next in Defiance. The author has once again given readers a story that flows easily and has many surprises in it. The characters were amazingly well developed.   It was nice to be able to revisit some of the characters from the first two books.

Is it true that anyone can change? Does God forgive everyone? This book does  a great job of examining those questions with a riveting story that is at times heartbreaking and sad. I must mention Delilah as one of my favorite characters. I loved how the author handled her journey as a woman who had been hurt in the past and turned her back on anything good. She reminds me of someone who wants so desperately to be loved, but chooses to follow a dark path to destruction. She is greedy and has revenge on her mind and doesn't care who gets hurt.  What happens when someone from her past comes to Defiance?

The town reminds me of the old west where saloons were filled with smoke, men gambling , drinking and ladies walking around trying to catch the eye of one of them. I thought about the show Gunsmoke. Just like in Gunsmoke, Defiance has its unsavory characters but the law is there to protect the people of the town. The town is growing and trying to make a place where everyone feels safe and welcomed.

I enjoyed the footnotes at the bottom of some of the pages. It gave readers a glimpse of the past and really added to the story. The story is filled with subjects like survival, grace, mercy and forgiveness. It also touches on how some people in the old west didn't care for Native Americans. I'm glad that was included because it was a vital part of history. I am part Native American and have always been interested in their stories. I haven't mentioned a lot of the characters in this book because I don't want to give anything away. Thank you for writing such an emotional story that had me on the edge of my seat. The ending is explosive and quite surprising. I will say that it leaves you with a clear understanding of grave, forgiveness , mercy and unconditional love.

"Grace is not an excuse to sin, but it is His  love in action."

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment