Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

TWO CROSSES by ELIZABETH MUSSER

I have become a huge fan of Elizabeth Musser. She takes a story and captures the time period with such ease. This book was so intriguing I couldn't put it down. I loved the description of France and felt like I had been swept away to witness the story of Gabriella and David.  There is more to the book than just a blossoming relationship as the story also takes us to a scene where a war is raging on. It's the heart of the book and brings intrigue and hidden secrets that will change people's lives.

Gabrielle is a smart young woman with fiery red hair and blue eyes that sparkle in the sun. . She wears a cross around her neck that is very special to her. I loved the intricate description of the cross and could picture it as it hung gracefully around Gabriella's neck. She has come to France in 1961 to further her studies. I loved the beautiful countryside where she stayed and the history of the Algerian war. I am not familiar with this war at all, but with the details that the author wrote , I have become very fascinated by this time period.  I could hear the sounds of war as people screamed .  The author did an excellent job of vividly bringing the war to life with her descriptions. Will anyone be able to survive the horrors of the war?

 The secrets, deceit, intense drama and overall powerful story had me glued to the book. I found David to be quite a charmer.  He is one of Gabriella's teachers and is  drawn to her from the start . Can David be trusted? It was interesting to read the interactions between the two as Gabriella shared her faith with David. As an unbeliever, he really struggled to believe there was such a God who  forgives and loves unconditionally.

When Gabriella learns a secret about her mother, will she turn away from those she trusts? Can she forgive those who kept the secret from her for so long? The story is intense at times and there are times I found myself gasp out loud. What is the connection to the nun who  Gabriella is staying with and David? I loved how we see Gabriella praying and relying on her faith when she sees danger closing in on her. The book is very well written and l loved the  reading about the orphans.  Are they being hidden from someone? I am so glad to know that there are more books that continue the journey of David and Gabriella. Will David be able to find who he is looking for? Can he accept someone he didn't know existed and be able to forgive what happened in his past?

Forgiveness is not just for the offender. You're a victim , and until you forgive , you will always be a victim, locked in your hurt and bitterness. Forgiveness frees."

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment